September 10

 

Love Your Enemies
Today's Gospel: Luke 6:27-38

Today’s Gospel: Luke 6:27-38
(Love Your Enemies)

“But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and of him who takes away your goods do not ask them again. And as you wish that men would do to you, do so to them. "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most  High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish. Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful. "Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you; good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For the measure you give will be the measure you get back."

Reflection:

I have no enemies. If people hate me, so be it; I don't hate them back. God knows my heart, and that's enough for me. My only goal and purpose in this life is to serve my Lord, and in serving Him, I love everyone. I'm not here to hate or to judge anyone. I'm here to love, and I want to be an example of that love whether I get love back or not. The love I have is the love Jesus already poured into me, and I'm just trying to let it move through me instead of getting in its way.

How do I (we) love someone who hates me (us)? Not with anything I've got on my own; I'm not working from my own supply; I'm working from His. The same love Jesus poured out for the people who nailed Him to the cross is the love He's poured into me (us). So, I pray for the people who hate me. I pray for the people who just don't care for me. God knows my heart, and He knows theirs too. I simply do my best to love like Jesus loved, because His love is already in me, waiting to be spent, not stored up. It won't always be easy; I promise you that. Some people will hate you even more if you simply love them in return. Let them!

And I know my life is too short to leave that love sitting unused. So much time (years, decades) gets wasted on anger, pride, and grudges. So little gets spent pouring out the love I've already been given. The clock is ticking, and I get less time here every day I'm alive. I think about what my family, my community, my little corner of the world would look like if I let His love move through me instead of holding onto my hurt. That's what I want my focus to be as a child of God. Let there be peace and love, and let it begin with me.


What would I change on my schedule this week if I actually lived out of the love Jesus has already poured into me, instead of the anger the world keeps handing me?

 

 

Rosary Man Jim 🌹
Freely given. Freely shared.

Popular posts from this blog

An Invitation To Read My Story - My Testimony