September 7
A Healing on The Sabbath
Today's Gospel: Luke
6:6-11
“On another
Sabbath, when he entered the synagogue and taught, a man was there whose right
hand was withered. And the scribes and the Pharisees watched him, to see
whether he would heal on the Sabbath, so that they might find an accusation
against him. But he knew their thoughts, and he said to the man who had the
withered hand, "Come and stand here." And he rose and stood there.
And Jesus said to them, "I ask you, is it lawful on the Sabbath to do good
or to do harm, to save life or to destroy it?" And he looked around on
them all, and said to him, "Stretch out your hand." And he did so,
and his hand was restored. But they were filled with fury and discussed with
one another what they might do to Jesus.”
Reflection:
The Scribes and Pharisees didn't see a healing. They saw a threat. Their
hearts weren't set on God, so mercy looked like danger to them. Jesus saw it
plainly. We're called to rest on the Sabbath, yes. But rest was never meant to
excuse us from love. If Jesus is truly first in our lives, the person in need
comes right after Him. No exceptions.
How Special and Holy are your Sundays? I know today's world makes that hard.
So many people work weekends now or spend them catching up on everything the
week didn't allow. It's a different world than the one I grew up in. My kids
won't ever see it the way I did, and that's just the truth of it.
My childhood was full of family and reverence for Sunday. Businesses closed.
Mass was standing room only, no matter what time you went. I spent years as an
altar server when I was a kid, at Holy Child Church in Eltingville, Staten
Island, most of my Sundays on the altar, serving alongside the priests. That
church was packed, all day, every week. After Mass, we'd visit the cemetery,
then both sets of grandparents. A typical Catholic Italian Sunday. I miss it
more than I can say — and I wish I could hand it to my kids the way it was
handed to me. That's a legacy worth building. If you're able to start it, start
it today.
What would it take for you to make just one Sunday this month feel
Special and Holy again, and who would you bring with you?
Rosary Man Jim
🌹
Freely given. Freely shared.